Monday, January 19, 2009

Blogged Down

Because we're already three weeks into January and I would have liked my blog to start from the beginning of the year, I'm trying to catch up. This explains why two of today's posts are in disjointed list form and bear a strong resemblance to my most recent facebook updates. I plan on writing proper posts from now on, though, so don't worry. This is just the beginning.

  • We were getting ready for bed after a long day driving home from Abbotsford when Abby suddenly turned to me and gasped, "Oh, no! We forgot!" "What did we forget, Abby?" I asked, worried that we might have left something important in Abbotsford. With eyes wide and palms spread, Abby exclaimed, "Mommy! We forgot to go on a jungle adventure!"
  • Reece and I woke up quite festive one morning, since Laureli had decorated us with Christmas trimmings while we slept.
  • I was stuck in an enormous line at Superstore while Reece went to get something from one of the aisles. (It wasn't like we were short on time.) Realizing that Laureli wasn't beside me anymore, I scanned around quickly and spotted her one line over. She had both arms lovingly wrapped around some bewildered man's leg and was softly nuzzling her cheek into the denim. I didn't want to go and physically peel her off the poor guy (whose wife was getting a real kick out of the situation), so I kept calling, "Laureli, that's not your daddy!" But she had her eyes closed and just continued to blissfully slow dance with the man's pant leg until he finally picked her up under her arms and held her in front of his face. Amazingly, she didn't cry or anything. She just looked slightly mystified and began searching for her real daddy. Thank goodness Reece reappeared just at that moment, or else Laureli might have freaked out and provided even more entertainment for the other people in line!
  • I wiped Laureli's face after supper the other day and was indignantly told, "I want my wips back!"
  • Coming into my room, Abby sat down on the bed, put her head in her hands, and sighed the deepest of sighs. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, "I'm upset because we're only three sisters, and I need a brother too!" I quizzed her a bit on what a brother would do that her sisters couldn't, and it turns out that she really wants a boy dance partner so he can dip her "like this"! ("Like this" involved Abby jumping up and demonstrating an elaborate back bending ballet move that clearly lacked the proper support. Then she flopped back down onto the bed to resume her despair.)
  • Abby and I were watching the Opera Australia version of Pirates of Penzance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3aClrCG874&feature=related), when she turned to me and said, "Hey, that girl looks like you, Mommy!" The girl in question had long red hair, so I was a little surprised and asked what it was about her that reminded Abby of me. "Well," said Abby, "she just has a smiley face!"
  • Last night I had a beautiful, long bedtime cuddle session with Cariana, kissing her cheeks and exchanging smiles with her as I watched her eyelids flutter and finally close. Deciding it was time to put her in her crib, I gently lifted her onto my shoulder and whispered a soft, "I love you," into her ear. "BUUUURRRP!!!" came the jarring reply, and judging from the wide-eyed expression on Cariana's face as I shakily laid her down, I wasn't the only one caught off guard!
  • Nothing particularly funny happened today, but I did get yet another picture to add to Laureli's "Lucky You're So Cute" scrapbook or "Pill Box" or whatever we end up calling this growing collection. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment